Taunya Painter is an attorney and member of Painter Law Firm.
Taunya Painter is a business lawyer and member of Painter Law Firm PLLC, who was recognized by H Texas Magazine as one of the Top Lawyers in Houston from 2011-2021. She has significant business and transactional experience with large and small companies, in both domestic and international matters.
Before practicing law in Texas, Mrs. Painter was an attorney and Director of International Trade for Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., in Bentonville, Arkansas. While there, she oversaw the legal work to form the global sourcing and direct buying operations, and helped shape domestic and international strategy regarding supplier relations, countries of production, tariffs and sustainability.
Mrs. Painter also has significant legislative experience. She served as Legislative Counsel for U.S. Senator John Ashcroft, drafting legislation and advising the Senator on international trade and agriculture issues and policy.
In her law practice, Mrs. Painter draws from her unique experience to provide sound, practical legal advice to her clients on business issues, including formation, legal compliance, transactions, and international sourcing and expansion. She also works on a variety of the firm's litigation matters. Mrs. Painter lives in Houston with her husband (and law partner), Robert, and their four children, Katherine, Theodore, Oliver and Hazel.
Georgetown University, LL.M. (Master of Laws), International Business (1998)
University of Arkansas, J.D. (1995)
• Arkansas Law Review
• Moot Court Finalist
University of Arkansas, B.A., Journalism and Mass Communication (1992)
• State of Texas (state courts)
• State of Arkansas (state courts)
• U.S. Supreme Court
• Houston's Top Lawyers, H Texas magazine (2011-2021)
• Top Lawyers, Houstonia magazine (2014-2016)
• Award of Distinction/Pinnacle Award (for Painter Law Firm PLLC), Better Business Bureau of Greater Houston and South Texas (2008-2020)
• Volunteer Award, Houston Northwest Chamber of Commerce (2009)
• Movers and Shakers Award, Southwest Houston Chamber of Commerce (2003)
• Legislative Staff Award, Missouri Farm Bureau (1999)
• Legislative Staff Award, National Association of Wheat Growers (1999)
• Editor-in-Chief, The Houston Lawyer magazine, Houston Bar Association (2019–2020)
Associate Editor, The Houston Lawyer magazine, Houston Bar Association (2014–2019)
• President, Houston Northwest Bar Association (2009–2010)
• Professionalism Committee, Houston Bar Association (2011–2013)
• Elder Law Committee, Houston Bar Association (2009–2010)
• Texas Trial Lawyers Association
• American Association for Justice
• Chair of the Board, Better Business Bureau (2020–present)
• Executive Board, Better Business Bureau (2013–present)
• Board of Directors, Better Business Bureau (2012–present)
• Membership Committee, Better Business Bureau (2010–2011)
• Chair, Small Business Committee, Houston Northwest Chamber of Commerce (2009–2010)
• Sunday School Teacher, Christchurch Baptist Fellowship (2002–present)
• Liberalized Telecommunications Trade in the WTO: Implications for Universal Service Policy, Federal Communications Law Journal (1998).
• Relations with Nonmarket Economies: Should Title IV of the Trade Act of 1974 and the Jackson-Vanik Amendment be Revised or Repealed?, University of Richmond Law Review (1998).
• A Needed Move Away from the Arbitrariness of Maquila and NAFTA-related Toxic Harms, UCLA Journal of Environmental Law and Policy (1996).
• WTO and NAFO Coalescence: A Pareto Improvement for Both Free Trade and Fish Conservation?, Virginia Environmental Law Journal (1996).
• GATT 1994 Dispute Settlement: Sacrificing Diplomacy for Efficiency in the Multilateral Trading System?, Florida Journal of International Law (1995).
• The Applicability of NEPA to Trade Agreements: Law, Politics, or Economics?, Maryland Journal of International Law and Trade (1995).
Business Planning & Transactional Expertise
It is always good to hire an attorney when setting up a new business, growing an existing one, or dissolving a business.
Taunya Painter works with a lot of small and medium-sized businesses as well as multi-national corporations. With legal and business experience from working in-house at the headquarters of the world’s largest company, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., she is equipped to give you representation that smaller companies feel they often cannot obtain.
When setting up a new entity, there are a lot of considerations, including limiting liability, as well as ensuring that you have the authority to do everything you want to do with your business.
In addition to entity formation, Taunya Painter advises her clients with business planning, transactions, operating procedures and contracts. She helps to limit your liability, but also to get the best out of your negotiations and vendor and service relationships.
Finally, Taunya Painter has significant experience in working with businesses on negotiating supplier and vendor relationships. Clarity and predictability are what every business wants in its supply chain. Taunya Painter understands that your sales and often your livelihood often depend on it, and puts her background and skills to work for you.
Our AttorneysEvery day we help real people who have suffered catastrophic injuries or death because of medical negligence.
years in a row
Better Business Bureau's Award of Excellence
years in a row
H Texas Magazine's Houston's Top Lawyer
Millions of dollars
recovered in one year for our clients
out of 10
Avvo's Attorney Rankings for our lawyers
Read all our reviews or write your own
I survived a horrible situation with a surgeon and called Painter Law Firm for help. Robert Painter, Linda, Julie, Catharine, Sharon, and everyone at the law firm were so nice and treated me like family. Mr. Painter didn't use big words, but explained things to me like a regular person. We went to mediation and got a good settlement for my case. It took a big weight off my shoulders. I'm grateful to them and the Lord for all of their help.
I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the Painter Law Firm. I was a young mother of 2, needing legal help with my newly born son. I was new to it all, and he guided me through it all. He helped me and my family in the welfare of our son in so many ways. My family and I will forever be grateful to him. Not only is Mr. Painter a wonderful lawyer, he treats you like family, along with his amazing staff. I am so happy I found him. I recommend anyone needing legal help, to choose this firm. It was one of the best things our family have ever done.
Robert Painter of the Painter Law Firm was absolutely brilliant! My case became very complex but Mr. Painter strategized and executed the plan with precision and perfection to the point he was able to head off potential downfalls and we were prepared. He fought for me and the injustice of the situation with extreme passion. It was impressive to watch him quickly use case law to combat the defendants arguments and objections with his knowledge of the law. The entire office is professional and courteous. You will not go wrong using this law firm!! It is not often we need legal representation but when I do, I will call The Painter Law firm to ensure I will be treated with respect and know they are fighting for me.
Mr. Painter is extremely friendly and made time to listen to my story, although it was rather difficult for me to talk about. He was informative and realistic about my case, but more importantly, he was very honest. It breaks my heart that my husband will only see his daughters from Heaven but it puts my mind at rest knowing that justice was somewhat served.....and this could possibly save someone else's life from ending.